• Score: Navy-191, Johns Hopkins-100
Towson-172.50, Johns Hopkins-115.50
• Records: JHU (0-3) • USNA (4-0) • TU (2-1)
• Location: Annapolis, MD • Lejeune Hall
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s swim team got a sweep of the 200 and 500 Free by sophomore Brandon Fabian in dual meets versus Towson and host Navy Friday afternoon.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “Thanks to USNA for hosting us and to Towson for the great cross-town competition. Our Blue Jays battled through an extra tough week of training and stepped up to the challenge against some great Division I competition! Freshmen Emma McElrath and Noah Frassrand put in great swims and Fabian’s 200/500 double was great! Senior Courtney Cowan broke through with a Hopkins dual meet record in the 200 fly and the women’s 200 free relay followed suit! We learned a lot but were enthused to see the progress from two weeks ago.”
• The 200 Medley Relay team of senior Peter Conzola, junior Peter Lazorchak, senior Mark Wilson and junior Alex Carson swam a time of 1:34.33. They placed fourth against Navy and first against Towson. The squad of senior Jan Hagemeister, juniors Emile Kuyl and Michael Wohl and freshman Nat Davenport placed third against Towson with a time of 1:35.67.
• In the 1000 Free, junior Erik Bostrom swam a 9:45.75 to place third against Navy and second against Towson. Senior Kyle Otazu took third against the Tigers with a time of 9:51.76.
• Fabian then won the 200 Free as he beat the field to the wall with a time of 1:40.76. He won by nearly two seconds.
• Carson placed second against Towson in the 100 Back as he touched in 52.61 while Conzola took third in 52.66. Carson was the top Blue Jay finisher against the Mids, finishing in fourth.
• Lazorchak followed with a time of 58.77 in the 100 Breast to place second to Towson’s Ryan O’Leary. Kuyl placed third with a time of 59.51. Lazorchak placed fifth against Navy in the event.
• Freshman Christopher Arena led the Blue Jays in the 200 Fly as he placed third against Towson with a time of 1:55.86.
• Wilson was the top Blue Jay in the 50 Free, finishing in 21.77, to place third against Towson and fourth against Navy. Davenport finished in fourth against the Tigers as he touched in 21.96.
• Senior Michael Ashmead led Hopkins in the 100 Free with his time of 47.66, while Carson followed in 47.96. Ashmead finished in second against Towson and Carson was third.
• In the 200 Back, senior Andrew Gibson finished in 1:57.24 to place fourth against both Towson and Navy. Freshman Matt McGough followed in fifth place with a time of 1:58.29.
• Frassrand led the Jays in the 200 Breast as he clocked in at 2:09.38 to finish second against the Tigers and fourth against the Mids. Freshman Marcelo Lauzurique followed in fourth against Towson as he finished in 2:11.59.
• Fabian followed with another win in the 500 Free as he touched in 4:37.90, while Otazu placed second in 4:40.41.
• Wilson took second against Towson in the 200 IM with a time of 51.52. Hagemeister followed in fourth in 52.15 and Conzola in fifth in 53.14.
• The 200 IM saw Frassrand placed third against the Tigers as he finished in 1:56.82. Kuyl took fifth place with a time of 1:57.86.
• Hopkins ended the night with win in the 200 Free Relay as Fabian, Davenport, Wilson and Carson finished in 1:24.79. The team of Ashmead, Wohl, senior Austin Wilson and senior Luke Johnson placed second in 1:27.68.
• Hopkins returns to the pool in two weeks at the annual Thomas Murphy Invitational, hosted by Loyola. The meet begins on Friday, November 3 at 5:00 pm. Hopkins will compete against Loyola as well as Drexel and West Chester.