Wilson Posts NCAA B Cut at Carolina College Nike Invite
• Score: No team scores
• Location: Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s swim team had another good day at the 2017 Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational. The Blue Jays turned in six career-bests and one NCAA provisional cut.
• Hopkins kicked off day two with a fourth-place finish in the 200 Medley Relay. Seniors Patrick Flynn and Bryan Pon and juniors Ronan Corgel and Luke Johnson combined for a time of 1:34.56.
• Junior Austin Wilson followed with a second-place finish in the B Final of the 400 IM. He touched in with an NCAA provisional time of 4:03.45. He knocked nearly five seconds off his prelim time. Freshman Jasper Van Cauwelaert placed fifth with a time of 4:07.54.
• Freshman Matthew Garza took third in the C Final of the 100 Fly as he finished with a career-best time of 50.99.
• In the 200 Free, the Blue Jays had three swimmers in the finals. Sophomore John Chu led the way with a fourth-place finish in the B Final and a career-best time of 1:40.81. Johnson finished in sixth place in the C Final as he touched in 1:43.54. Freshman Ali Aly followed just 0.12 seconds later for seventh place. His prelim time of 1:44.79 was a career best.
• Hopkins did one better in the 100 Breast, with four swimmers in the finals. Pon paced the quartet with a fourth-place finish in the B Final. He touched in 56.86, a career-best time. Senior Scott Sterrett placed fifth in 56.95 and junior Colby Yu finished in seventh with a time of 58.25. Freshman Vincent Hou took second in the C Final with a time of 59.95. Both Yu and Hou posted career-best times in the prelim.
• Junior Andrew Gibson led Hopkins in the 100 Back, as he placed third in the C Final with a time of 52.42. Flynn took fifth place in 52.50 and Corgel finished in sixth (52.81).
• The Blue Jays closed out the night in the 800 Free Relay. Chu, Wilson, Aly and freshman Reid Cagir combined for a time of 6:59.60.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• “Again the team stepped up with many best times and some young freshmen learning to lead from their seniors. Bryan Pon stood out with a great senior effort, while Matthew Garza and Sonia Lin stepped up for the freshmen.”
• The Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational concludes on Sunday, February 5. The prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am at Duke’s Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion.