Johns Hopkins Posts NCAA B Cuts on Day Two of Nike Cup
• Location: Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s swim team posted four more NCAA B cuts and eight more personal bests on the second day of the Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
• It was another strong day. There are always ups and downs but Michael Wohl was up twice with two great swims in the 200 and 100 Free and the women were led by Anna Wisnewski's 100 fly and a great 400 Medley Relay to finish the night.”
• Hopkins opened the night with three finishers in the top six of the 100 Fly. Freshman Nat Davenport led the way with a time of 50.62 for third place. Sophomore Matthew Garza followed in fifth place (51.81) and freshman Dillon De Priest placed sixth (53.11).
• Junior Erik Bostrom led the Blue Jays in the 400 IM with a second-place finish and NCAA B time of 4:00.17. Freshman Matt McGough also posted a B cut with a time of 4:02.15 for third place. Freshmen Christopher Arena and Riley Mears placed fourth (4:02.46) and fifth (4:03.00), respectively, while also posting personal best times. Also posting a personal best was sophomore Jasper Van Cauwelaert in 4:06.60.
• Junior Peter Lazorchak grabbed first place in the 100 Breast as he clocked in at 56.20, good for an NCAA B cut. Freshman Marcelo Lauzurique followed in third place in 57.21 and senior Colby Yu in fourth with a time of 57.63. Both Lauzurique’s and Yu’s times are personal bests.
• The 100 Back saw three Blue Jays place in the top six, led by freshman Alex Carson with a time of 50.71. Senior Ronan Corgel finished in fifth with a time of 52.67 and senior Andrew Gibson placed sixth in 52.98.
• Senior Austin Wilson turned in a personal best 1:41.90 in the 200 Free time trial. And in the 100 Free time trial, Wohl clocked in at 45.11 – an NCAA B cut and personal best.
• The Janis Hape Dowd Nike Invitational concludes on Sunday, February 4 at the Maurice J. Koury Natatorium in Chapel Hill, NC. Prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am with finals set for 5:00 pm.