Blue Jays Compete at Carolina College Nike Invite
• Score: No Team Score
• Location: Chapel Hill, NC • Koury Natatoirum / Durham, NC • Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s swim team turned in several strong performances on day one of the 2017 Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational Friday. The Blue Jays, competing against eight Division I teams, posted eight career best times and one NCAA provisional cut.
• Hopkins kicked the night off with a fourth-place finish in the 200 Free Relay. Junior Luke Johnson, sophomore John Chu, freshman Reid Cagir and senior Patrick Flynn finished in 1:25.40.
• Freshman Ali Aly then placed fourth in the C Final of the 500 Free with a career-best time of 4:41.69.
• The Blue Jays had five swimmers in the finals of the 200 IM and all five posted career best times. Junior Austin Wilson grabbed second place in the B Final with a time of 1:51.42. His time is an NCAA provisional cut and is nearly three seconds faster than his career best. Senior Scott Sterrett finished in fourth place with a time of 1:52.22 and freshman Jasper Van Cauwelaert placed seventh in 1:54.06. Freshman Matthew Garza finished in second in the C Final with a time of 1:55.84 and classmate Vincent Hou clocked in at 2:01.04 for fourth.
• Chu led a quartet of JHU swimmers in the 50 Free with a fifth-place finish in the C Final. He touched in 21.66, while his prelim time of 21.37 was a career best. Cagir finished in 21.83, followed by Flynn in 21.99 and Johnson in 22.13.
• JHU closed out the night with third and fourth-place finishes in the 400 Medley Relay. Flynn, Sterrett, Garza and Chu clocked in at 3:27.33 for third place. Junior Ronan Corgel, senior Bryan Pon, Wilson and Cagir finished in 3:27.92.
Quoting Coach Armstrong
"We are so excited to have so many best times. This meet is a real challenge for the team facing up against all Division I competition. To finish the night with so many best times and break throughs, shows where this team is. Austin Wilson stole the night on the men's side with a B cut and a three second drop in the IM and Michelle Wang knocked off a best time B cut in the 200 IM and a best time in the 100 back!"
• Day two of the Janis Hape Dowd Carolina College Nike Invitational continues on Saturday, February 4. The prelims are scheduled to begin at 10:00 am at Duke’s Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion.