• Score: #23 Johns Hopkins-2, DeSales-0
• Records: JHU (15-1-3) • DU (12-3-6)
• Location: Glassboro, NJ • Rowan Soccer Field
• The Short Story: The 23rd-ranked Johns Hopkins men's soccer team got a goal in each half to defeat DeSales, 2-0, Saturday night in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
How it Happened
• Sophomore Liam Moylan put the Blue Jays on the board in the 18th minute with what proved to be the game-winner. Sophomore Connor Jacobs played a great ball from the left side to classmate Achim Younker, near the endline. He sent it across the mouth of the goal and Moylan one-touched it into the right side of the net to stake Hopkins to the early lead.
• The Blue Jays had several more quality chances in the first half, but Bulldogs' goalie Dan Sulpizio finished the half with five saves.
• Hopkins struck quickly in the second half to take the two-goal lead and gain a little breathing room. This time it was Younker on the receiving end for the goal. He took a nice pass from freshman Alejandro Maclean and buried a shot inside the left post in the 50th minute.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 4-0-0 all-time against DeSales with each of the last two wins coming in the NCAA Tournament, though 10 years apart. The Blue Jays are now 16-14-5 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and advance to the second round for the 12th time.
Inside the Box Score
• Younker's goal is his team-leading 16th of the season, the most by a Blue Jay since Scott Bukoski scored 20 in 2007.
• Senior Bryan See finished with three saves to earn his 12th shutout of the season. It is Hopkins' 14th shutout as a team this season, the most since the 2006 squad also posted 14.
• Sulpizio posted nine saves in the loss for the Bulldogs, who gave up multiple goals for just the fourth time this season.
• Hopkins outshot DeSales, 24-7, and had a 6-0 advantage in corners.
• Hopkins takes on Cabrini, which beat host and 17th-ranked Rowan in the other first-round game. The Blue Jays and the Cavaliers will meet at 6:00 pm on Sunday at Rowan Soccer Field.