HopkinsSports Instagram

Men's Soccer

Gettysburg Holds on for Wild 3-2 Win over Johns Hopkins


Oct. 28, 2009


Box Score


BALTIMORE, MD - The 18th-ranked Johns Hopkins men's soccer team looked like it had a come-back of historic proportions in it on Wednesday afternoon. But visiting Gettysburg was able to withstand a furious second half by the Blue Jays to hold on for the 3-2 win. Hopkins drops to 12-3-2 overall and 5-2-1 in the Centennial Conference, while Gettysburg improves to 8-6-2 overall and 4-4-0 in the conference.

Trailing 3-0 at the half, Hopkins came out firing in the second half. The Blue Jays, outshot 13-6 in the first half, took it to the Bullets' defense in the second, with a 15-3 advantage in shots. The three-goal deficit proved to be too much as Hopkins couldn't complete what would have been an amazing comeback on senior day at Homewood Field.

Hopkins finally got on the board in the 56th minute after a Gettysburg foul 20 yards out. On the quick restart, senior Max Venker (Oldsmar, FL/Palm Harbor University) quickly passed the ball out right to an unmarked Chris Wilson (Bel Air, MD/John Carroll). Wilson ran on to the ball and slid it under a diving Mike Walmer to make it a 3-1 game. Walmer was injured on the play and was replaced by Jamie Hahn.

Just two minutes later, the Blue Jays almost made it a one-goal game off a corner kick. Venker's corner found the head of freshman Nick White (San Diego, CA/Patrick Henry). White's header looked to be going in, just inside the right post, but was cleared off the line by Gettysburg's Tom Siekmann. Hopkins was able to cut the deficit to one in the 67th minute, capitalizing on a corner. Venker played a short corner up high to senior Nate Wysk (Dunedin, FL/Palm Harbor University), who fired a hard shot into the Bullets' box. Junior Kevin Hueber (High Bridge, NJ/Voorhees) headed it down to the feet of junior Scott Bukoski (Sagamore, MA/Bourne), who blasted the ball into the top of the goal.



In the 72nd minute, the Bullets defense once again came up with a save to keep the visitors on top. Junior Tony Gass (Durham, NH/Oyster River) bent a nice ball in from the right end line, over the outstretched hands of Hahn. It appeared to be headed in, but was cleared off the line by Tyler Cook. Balfour looked to have the equalizer in the 84th minute off a cross from Hueber. The ball ricocheted off the Hahn and hit the goal line. Hahn was able to collect the ball before it crossed the line. Hopkins had one final chance on a header by freshman Taylor Woodrum (Roanoke, VA/Cave Spring), but it missed wide in the 89th minute.

Gettysburg buried three goals in a span of just 9:44 to take a 3-0 lead into the lockerroom at the half. After a Hopkins foul on a Gettysburg corner kick inside the box, Drew Erickson scored on the ensuing penalty kick in the 33rd minute to put the Bullets up 1-0. Less than three minutes later, Ben Tabor played a long ball into the box from the right sideline, where Geoff Menge headed it inside the far post to make it 2-0. In the 44th minute, it was Tabor on the receiving end of a long ball into the box. Teddy Smith played a ball in from the left sideline and Tabor headed it inside the right post. 

Erickson's goal in the 33rd minute was the first goal the Blue Jays had allowed at home since September 9, 2009. It snapped a streak of 537:15 without surrendering a goal at home. It also marks the first time Hopkins had allowed more than one goal in a game since October 29, 2008 - a 3-1 loss at Gettysburg. The win for the Bullets is their first at Homewood Field since November 2, 2001.

Hopkins wraps up the regular season on Saturday, October 31 as the Blue Jays travel to Chestertown, MD to take on Washington College. Game time is slated for 7:00 pm.

Online Store