Johns Hopkins Tops McDaniel, 2-0; Clinches CC Playoff Berth
• Score: Johns Hopkins-2, McDaniel-0
• Records: JHU (12-1-2, 5-0-2 CC) • MC (8-4-2, 2-4-1 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Homewood Field
• The Short Story: Freshman RJ Moore had a hand in both of the Johns Hopkins men’s soccer team goals as the Blue Jays beat the McDaniel Green Terror, 2-0, on Wednesday night.
How it Happened
• Moore staked Hopkins to the early 1-0 lead with his first career goal. He collected a loose ball in the box, touched it back to senior Jonah Muniz around the 18. He one-touched the ball right back to Moore, who slotted a shot into the lower left corner.
• Senior Mike Swiercz nearly doubled the Blue Jays’ lead in the 26th minute, but his free kick ricocheted off the crossbar. In the 49th minute, Moore just missed his second goal with off a free kick, but Terror goalie Nick Over made a fantastic save to punch the ball out.
• Senior Drew Collins made it a two-goal game in the 55th minute as the Blue Jays cashed in on a corner kick. Moore took the corner and sent the ball short to Collins. He took several dribbles forward and blasted a shot past the outstretched hands of Over from 25 yards out.
What it Means
• Hopkins is now 54-21-10 all-time against McDaniel and has won 11 straight in the series. The Blue Jays have shutout the Green Terror in each of the last six meetings between the two.
• The win, coupled with a loss by Swarthmore and a tie by Dickinson, clinched a berth in the Centennial Conference Tournament for JHU. The Blue Jays are the only team in the history of the CC to make every tournament.
Inside the Box Score
• Moore and Muniz each tallied their seventh assists of the season, which are tied for the team lead. They are also tied for the lead in the conference.
• Senior Bryan See finished with three saves to earn his ninth shutout of the season and 23rd of his career. He is now tied with Ravi Gill for fourth in program history.
• Over finished with 12 saves in the loss for the Green Terror.
• Hopkins outshot McDaniel, 28-5, and had a 6-3 edge in corners.
• Hopkins travels to Collegeville, PA on Saturday to take on Ursinus. The Centennial Conference contest is slated for a 3:00 pm start at Patterson Field.