Muniz Golden Goal Lifts Johns Hopkins Over Muhlenberg, 1-0
• Score: #11 Johns Hopkins-1, Muhlenberg-0 (2OT)
• Records: JHU (10-0-0, 4-0-0 CC) • MC (2-5-2, 0-3-1 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Homewood Field
• The Short Story: Senior Jonah Muniz scored the game-winner just 35 seconds into the second overtime as the 11th-ranked Johns Hopkins men's soccer team beat visiting Muhlenberg 1-0 Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The Blue Jays appeared to take an early lead when senior Mike Swiercz poked home a loose ball off an RJ Moore corner kick in the sixth minute, however the goal was waved off.
• Junior Cole Rosenberger had a great chance in the 31st minute with a header that seemed destined for the upper right corner. But a diving Jordan Schreer was able to get a glove on it and knock it out of bounds.
• Hopkins finally got on the board and ended the game in the 101st minute off the foot of Muniz. Sophomore Connor Jacobs got things going as he dribbled down the left touchline and crossed the ball into the box. Freshman Jonathon Brown flicked the ball with his heel to Muniz, who ran onto it and one-timed a shot inside the left post just 35 seconds into the second overtime.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 18-12-4 all-time against Muhlenberg and has won the last two meetings. This is the ninth game in the series to advance to overtime.
• The Blue Jays run their season-opening win streak to 10 games and their unbeaten streak to 14 games (13-0-1). This is the Blue Jays' longest season-opening win streak since the 2007 when they won their first 11 games. This is Hopkins' longest unbeaten streak since 2006 when the JHU had a 17-game unbeaten streak.
Inside the Box Score
• Senior Bryan See finished with a pair of saves in earning his sixth shutout of the season. Schreer made four saves in the loss for the Mules.
• Hopkins had a 13-4 advantage in shots and a 5-0 edge in corners.
• Hopkins is back at Homewood Field on Monday, October 2 as the Blue Jays host the Stevenson Mustangs. The non-conference tilt is slated for a 7:00 pm start at Homewood Field.