Johns Hopkins Blanks Manhattanville, 2-0
• Score: Johns Hopkins-2, Manhattanville-0
• Records: JHU (3-0) • MC (1-2)
• Location: Plattsburgh, NY • Field House Complex
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s soccer team got a goal in each half to defeat Manhattanville, 2-0, in the Best Western Plus Cardinal Classic.
How it Happened
• Senior co-captain Mike Swiercz staked the Blue Jays to a 1-0 lead as Hopkins capitalized on a corner kick in the 36th minute. Junior Gerrit Church sent the ball to the far side of the box and Swiercz headed it just inside the right post for his first of the season.
• Freshman Alejandro Maclean added an insurance goal in the 65th minute with his first career goal. Freshman Ben Bae took a shot from close range that was blocked and classmate RJ Moore followed with a long range shot that was stopped by goalie Tim Carsting. The Valiants’ goalie was unable to control the ball and Maclean was there to tuck it inside the goal.
What it Means
• Hopkins improves to 2-0-0 against Manhattanville in the first meeting between the two since 2002.
• The Blue Jays are 3-0-0 to start the season for the first time since 2010. That year, the Blue Jays went 15-4-4 and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16.
Inside the Box Score
• Swiercz’s goal was the third of his career and first game-winner.
• Senior Bryan See made one save in earning his seventh straight shutout, dating back to last season, and 16th of his career. His shutout streak has now reached 650:11, the fifth longest streak in program history.
• Carsting finished with 12 saves in the loss for the Valiants.
• Hopkins outshot Manhattanville, 26-8, and had the edge in corners, 5-1.
• Johns Hopkins takes on host Plattsburgh State in the championship game on Sunday. Game time is slated for 2:30 pm.