Skip to main content Skip to footer

Third Quarter Surge Powers Brown Past Johns Hopkins, 17-8

May 14, 2016

Box Score

Holden Cattoni scored twice in his final game in a Blue Jay uniform.

PROVIDENCE, RI – The fourth-ranked and fifth-seeded Brown men’s lacrosse team entered Saturday’s game against Johns Hopkins in the first round of the NCAA Tournament having outscored the opposition 78-32 in the third quarter of its first 16 games. The Bears used a decisive scoring run again in the third period and pulled away to knock off the Blue Jays 17-8 and advance to next week’s quarterfinal round against the winner of Sunday’s game between Yale and Navy.

The Blue Jays trailed just 6-2 at the half, but the Bears exploded in the third quarter to put the game away by outscoring Johns Hopkins 8-1 in the 15 minutes immediately after halftime. Senior faceoff specialist Will Gural needed just seven seconds of the third quarter to jump-start the spree as he won the opening faceoff and went in alone to open the second-half scoring. By the time the fourth quarter started with the Blue Jays up a man, Brown had a 14-3 lead.

Junior Cody Radziewicz answered Gural’s third-quarter-opening strike with a nifty wrap-around goal with 12:38 left in the third, but Brown reeled off the next seven to take the 14-3 lead and secure a spot in the quarterfinal doubleheader that it will host next Saturday at Brown Stadium.

Gural, Kylor Bellistri and Henry Blynn all scored twice and Dylan Molloy added a goal and two assists during the 8-1 run that saw the Bears score in a variety of ways to take control. While Gural and the Bears were winning 7-of-10 third-quarter faceoffs, it wasn’t all the Brown offense that ignited the run. Goalies Jack Kelly and Peter Scott combined to make six third-quarter saves for Brown, including a one-on-one save by Scott on a breakaway.

Hopkins (8-7) outscored the Bears 5-3 in the fourth quarter to account for the final scoring. Five different players scored for the Blue Jays in the final 15 minutes with Holden Cattoni and Patrick Fraser scoring extra-man goals and Patrick Foley netting a man-down goal.

In a game that figured to be high scoring, it was the defenses that came out strong as neither team found the back of the net for the first 10 minutes. Brown (15-2) then struck twice in a 10-second span as Blynn opened the scoring at the 4:23 mark and Jake Miller scored off the ensuing faceoff to give the Bears a 2-0 lead.

The lead was 3-0 early in the second after the first of Molloy’s four goals, but the teams traded the next four goals to make it 5-2 late in the period. Hopkins twice had a chance to make it 5-3, but a shot off the post and a turnover led to a late goal by Blynn to account for the 6-2 halftime score. When Gural scored seven seconds into the third, the decisive Brown run was on.

The Brown starting attack of Molloy, Blynn and Bellistri combined for 11 goals and four assists, while Gural scored twice, won 16-of-20 faceoffs and added 10 ground balls.

Radziewicz and Cattoni both scored twice to lead the way for Johns Hopkins.

- 30 -