Skip to main content Skip to footer

Towson Pulls Away From Johns Hopkins, 13-8

John Crawley scored a team-high three goals in Hopkins' 13-8 loss at Towson.
March 11, 2017

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

TOWSON, MD – The 17th-ranked Towson men’s lacrosse team used a 4-0 run to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 7-4 lead and the Tigers never let sixth-ranked Johns Hopkins get closer than two goals over the final 29 minutes in a 13-8 victory at Johnny Unitas Stadium Saturday afternoon. The win improves the Tigers’ record to 4-1, while the Blue Jays drop their second straight and slip to 4-2.

Johns Hopkins led 4-3 after an extra-man goal by junior Patrick Fraser with 12:26 to play in the second quarter, but the Tigers answered six seconds later when Alex Woodall won the faceoff and went in and scored the first of his two goals on the day to tie the game at 4-4.

Towson had a two-goal lead by halftime as the Tigers capitalized on a failed clear two minutes after Woodall’s goal as Mike Lynch scored on a step-down from 10 yards and Jon Mazza pushed the margin to two seven minutes later when he got his hands free after a quick face dodge and scored with 3:12 on the first-half clock.

The teams traded the first four goals of the third quarter over an eight-minute span as strikes by Towson’s Tyler Young and Joe Seider were answered by the first goal of the year by Hopkins’ Cody Radziewicz and Kyle Marr’s second of the day, but Towson carried a three-goal lead into the fourth quarter after Ryan Drenner’s goal with 1:38 left in the third. Drenner’s goal was the second of three the Tigers scored on the day with the shot clock on – Towson had the shot clock put on nine times in the game.

Trailing 8-6 after Marr’s goal, the Blue Jays had back-to-back opportunities to slice the deficit to one, but Towson goalie Josh Miller made a pair of saves to hold the two-goal lead and Drenner’s goal late in the period gave the Tigers the three-goal lead entering the final period.

Any hopes for a Blue Jay comeback were dashed in the first six minutes of the fourth quarter as the Tigers scored three of the first four goals of the period with Seider and Woodall sandwiching goals around a Joel Tinney goal in a two-minute span and Drenner scored with one second left on the shot clock two minutes after Woodall’s tally to make it 12-7 with 9:01 remaining.

Crawley’s third of the game with 7:18 on the clock and Drenner’s third of the day in the final minute with the Blue Jay defense chasing closed out the scoring.

Neither team gained any real separation over the first 20 minutes of the game as Seider and Young scored in the opening 15 minutes for Towson – goals that were answered by Crawley and Marr. Marr’s goal in the final minute of the first quarter was the first of two straight Johns Hopkins scored as Crawley added a goal off a dodge in the first minute of the second quarter to give the Blue Jays their first lead at 3-2.

Seider struck just nine seconds later – the first of three goals Towson scored right off the faceoff – to knot the game at 3-3, a score than held for just under 90 seconds until Fraser’s extra-man tally gave Hopkins its second and final lead of the game. Woodall’s first goal followed six seconds after Fraser’s and ignited the game-turning run for the Tigers.

Seider scored a game-high four goals, while Drenner (3g, 1a), Young (2g, 1a) and Woodall (2g, 1a) also registered at least three points in the win; Woodall also won 16-of-25 faceoffs and grabbed nine ground balls.

Crawley led the Blue Jays with three goals and one assist and Marr added the two goals, but no other Blue Jay registered a multi-point game.

Johns Hopkins will return to action on Saturday, March 18 when the Blue Jays welcome Syracuse to Homewood Field (4 pm).

- 30 -