• Score: Johns Hopkins-84, Washington College-65
• Records: JHU (16-8, 12-5 CC) • WC (7-17, 3-14 CC)
• Location: Baltimore, MD • Goldfarb Gym
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins men’s basketball team led wire-to-wire in an 84-65 win over visiting Washington College Wednesday night. Sophomore Michael Gardner led all scorers with a career-best 20 points.
How it Happened
• Leading by four at the 16:19-mark of the first half, graduate student Sam Gordon hit a bucket in the paint to kick start a 10-2 Blue Jay run. Four Blue Jays scored during the run, which was capped by senior Josh Wetzler with a back-door layup at 11:52.
• The teams traded buckets over the ensuing three-and-a-half minutes as the lead see-sawed up-and-down between 10 and 13 points.
• Junior Kyle Doran put Hopkins up 31-18 with 8:21 to play in the half. Kevin McCormick answered with a layup on the other end to ignite a 10-1 run. That run saw the Shoremen trim the Blue Jays’ lead to just four with 2:40 on the clock.
• Gordon and sophomore Michael Gardner sandwiched buckets around a Josh Porteous jumper and Hopkins led 36-30. Gordon added another layup, followed by a Gardner three-pointer and just like that the lead was 11 with 47 ticks on the clock. Senior Ryan Curran would add a free throw in the waning seconds to give Hopkins a 42-30 lead at the half.
• The Blue Jays picked up right where they left off with a 19-2 run to open the second. Freshman Harry O’Neil opened the scoring with a 15-footer and Hopkins was off and running. Five players scored during the run, which was punctuated by a three-pointer from Gardner at the 14:57-mark.
• Two minutes later and still trailing by 29, Brandon Berry drained a three-pointer that sparked a Shoremen 10-1 run. That run trimmed the deficit to 20 with 7:58 still to play. The Blue Jays came right back with a 7-2 spurt to push their lead back to 25 at the 5:46-mark. That would seal it for Hopkins as the home team went on to win by a 19-point margin.
What it Means
• Johns Hopkins improves to 77-61 all-time against Washington College and sweeps the season series.
• Tonight’s win is Hopkins’ 400th inside Goldfarb Gym as the Blue Jays improve to 400-194 (.673) inside the gym.
Inside the Box Score
• Gardner shot 8-of-10 from the field and finished with a game and career-best 20 points in just 25 minutes. He is the third different Blue Jay to score 20 or more points this season.
• Gordon finished with 13 points and a game-high 12 boards to post his 10th career double-double and fifth this season. He also blocked a pair of shots in just 19 minutes on the floor. Curran also finished in double figures as he scored 13 points and handed out two assists.
• Austin Allen and Porteous led the Shoremen with 12 points apiece. Berry added 11 points and a game-high five assists.
• Hopkins wraps up the regular season on Saturday as the Blue Jays host the Haverford Fords. Tip-off at Goldfarb Gym is slated for 4:00 pm.