Hopkins Runs Past Muhlenberg, 85-63
• Score: Johns Hopkins - 85, Muhlenberg - 63
• Records: JHU (13-4, 7-3 CC) • Muhlenberg (7-9, 5-5 CC)
• Location: Allentown, PA (Memorial Hall)
• The Short Story: Behind a combined 41 points from Michael Gardner and Kyle Doran the Johns Hopkins men's basketball cruised to an 85-63 victory over Muhlenberg on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
• The two teams went back-in-forth in the early moments of the first half before Hopkins went on a 15-0 run to go up 30-14 with 8:10 remaining in the half.
• The Mules scored two straight buckets to get the JHU lead down to 11, but Harry O'Neil and Gardner combined to score the next nine points to put Hopkins up 18 with 5:23 remaining in the half.
• Doran scored six of Hopkins' final eight points of the half as the Blue Jays went into the break leading 47-31.
• The Blue Jays continued to build on their lead as Daniel Vila converted the and-one to give Hopkins a 52-33 advantage. Doran followed that up with his own three-point play to increase the JHU lead to 55-33.
• Five-straight points by the Mules got the Hopkins' lead down to 17, but Joey Fitzpatrick put the Blue Jays back up 19 with a nice layup off a pass from Gardner at 15:17.
• A three from Owen McLeod made the score 59-41, however, Doran converted another three-point play to put JHU back up 21.
• Back-to-back buckets from Conner Delaney made the Johns Hopkins lead 26, but Muhlenberg scored the next four points to make the score 67-45.
• A three from Nick Rindock brought Muhlenberg to within 19, but Gardner took a pass from O'Neil and converted the layup to put Johns Hopkins up 71-50.
• Chris Groetsch gave Hopkins a 27-point advantage at 4:49 as the Blue Jays would claim the 85-63 victory.
What it Means
• JHU is 43-18 against Muhlenberg and 23-9 on the road. Hopkins has won the past three meetings including a 66-55 victory earlier in the season.
Inside the Box Score
• Gardner scored a game-high 22 points while Doran was second on Hopkins with 19 points in the game. Doran also grabbed a team-leading eight rebounds.
• Delaney finished the game with seven points and six assists while Vila finished with eight points.
• O'Neil and Fitzpatrick both ended the game with six points.
• Hopkins shot 60.3% from the floor and held the Mules to 41.0% from the floor. JHU out rebounded the Mules 36-26.
• Hopkins is back on the court Thursday, January 25 for a Centennial Conference matchup against McDaniel. Tip-off is slated for 8 pm at Goldfarb Gym.