Carter Burns Pitchers Johns Hopkins to CC Tourney Win
Score: Johns Hopkins 6, Gettysburg 1
Records: Johns Hopkins (27-11-2); Gettysburg (24-16-1)
Location: Babb Field at Stromberg Stadium; Baltimore, MD
Time of Game: 1:56
Weather: 57 degrees, overcast
Pitchers of Record: W-Carter Burns (6-3)
L- Brad DeMartino (6-3)
The Short Story: Carter Burns saved his best start of the season for the Centennial Conference Tournament. After allowing a leadoff double, the senior captain was nearly unhittable as he only allowed one more hit until the ninth inning in Johns Hopkins’ 6-1 victory over Gettysburg. All in all, Burns tossed his third-straight complete game and allowed four hits and only one earned run. He struck out eight Bullets in his sixth win of the season and walked just one.
The Blue Jays offense did not disappoint either, recording 10 hits. Hopkins used timely hitting and took advantage of a Gettysburg miscue in the fourth to pound out four runs and take a 4-0 lead. JHU tacked on a run each in the fifth and sixth, as well. Gettysburg scored its only run in the top of the seventh when Henry Klimowicz hit a home run. With the victory the Jays advance to the winner’s bracket final and will take on Haverford Saturday afternoon at Babb Field.
Hits: Mee (3)
Runs: Mee (2)
RBI: Smith (2)
Strikeouts: C. Burns (8)
Hits: Four with (4)
Runs: Kimowicz (3)
RBI: Klimowicz (1)
Strikeouts: DeMartino (4)
- Hopkins improved to 6-4 in first-round Centennial Tournament games.
- Burns now has 22 career victories and tied his career-high with six wins in a season. He now has 235 career strikeouts, the fourth most in program history.
- Tommy Mee’s three-hit game was his third of the season.
- Zach Jaffe now has hits in three consecutive games.
- Hopkins improved to 23-1-1 when outhitting its opponent.
- The Jays are now 18-1 when scoring at least six runs.
Up Next: Hopkins returns to CC Tourney action Saturday when it takes on Haverford at Babb Field. Game time is slated for no earlier than 12:30pm, but it will not begin less than 30 minutes after the earlier game between Gettysburg and McDaniel finishes.